Saturday 26 October 2019

Week 14

Sort of continuing from last week's goth stuff here's something from the other end of the scale...



Cradle of Filth - A Gothic Romance (Red Roses for the Devil's Whore)
If you've never heard CoF be prepared for a voice that you can't understand.  This was one of the first songs I'd heard by them and it just stuck with me.  It combined death metal with some fantastic storytelling and orchestral symphonics.



Cradle of Filth - Beneath The Howling Stars
I could probably include this whole album (Cruelty and the Beast) as it's all about Countess Bathory.  They even got Ingrid Pitt to read passages on two of the songs.  Unfortunately not this one.  From 6:20 ish onwards is my favourite section.  If you're skipping to that bit the lyrics start "Pounding upon the pauper ridge".

And there's been a takedown notice on the lyrics video I was going to include here so here's a link to the lyrics instead. (I use Ghostery and AdBlock Plus so I have no idea if there's a shitload of popups or ads on the page but Avast doesn't complain so it should be fine) https://www.lyrics.com/lyric/2197774/Cradle+of+Filth/Beneath+the+Howling+Stars



David Bowie - Heart's Filthy Lesson
Something completely different now...  I'd liked Bowie for a long time (Space Oddity, Ashes to Ashes) but it wasn't until 1. Outside that I really got interested.  It seemed such a departure, even though he'd changed his style of songs numerous times over the years this just seemed more different than anything he'd done before.  I loved it.



David Bowie - Little Wonder
I couldn't find the official video for this which is annoying. I absolutely love this song.  It's just weird.



David Bowie - I'm Afraid of Americans
This is just a great song.

No comments:

Post a Comment